FREE EVENT / Family friendly
Join us for our 5th annual celebration of dragonflies on the Santa Cruz River. There are many ways to learn and explore this year, from a community science bioblitz to tours with local experts. Find the way to participate that will be fun for you!
- Dragonfly BioBlitz – September: Join our community science bioblitz, partnering with Michael Bogan, to learn how to spot dragonflies and contribute sightings using iNaturalist. Details: Dragonfly BioBlitz
- Bugs and Brews – September 14, 6-9 PM: Explore the captivating world of dragonflies and fireflies, presented by experts Michael Bogan and Cheryl Mollohan, in collaboration with the Sonoran Institute. Register: Bugs & Brews
- Make Your Own Dragonfly – September 25: Craft a dragonfly with a family-friendly kit developed by Pima County Natural Resources, Parks and Recreation; share your creation on social media with #scrdragonflyday. Kits will be available for pick-up while supplies last at Pima County libraries and at Mission Gardens
- Dragonflies 101 – September 27, 7-8 PM: Attend a virtual presentation to learn about dragonflies with Jeff Babson from Pima County Natural Resources, Parks, and Recreation. Register: Dragonfly 101
- Guided Dragonfly Tour – September 30, 9 AM – 12 PM: Join Sonoran Institute and local experts to search for dragonflies at one of three locations. Discover dragonflies with experts at three locations, including walking river tours in the Santa Cruz River channel. Open to all, no prior knowledge required. The 10:30 A.M. tours focus on spotting and identifying species. Check out our tours and times below!
Tours are limited to 15 and are popular, please let us know if you need to cancel your reservation. If tours are full, join the waitlist: TOUR WAITLIST
Downtown River Tours
Join Rocio Guzman of UArizona’s School of Natural Resources and the Environment to learn about the dragonflies living in the Santa Cruz Heritage Project.
9-10 A.M. Bilingual Tour English/Spanish REGISTER 9:00 A.M. VISITA BILINGÜE
10:30-12 P.M. REGISTER 10:30 A.M. DOWNTOWN RIVER
MArana river tours
Join Michael Bogan of UArizona’s School of Natural Resources and the Environment to learn about the dragonflies living along the Santa Cruz River near the Marana Heritage Park.
9-10 A.M. REGISTER 9:00 A.M. MARANA RIVER
10-12 P.M. REGISTER 10:30 A.M. MARANA RIVER
mission garden tours
Join Jeff Babson from Pima County Natural Resources, Parks and Recreation to discover the dragonflies thriving along Mission Garden’s acequia. Explore rich agricultural heritage by the river.
9-10 A.M. REGISTER 9:00 A.M. MISSION GARDEN
10:30-12 P.M. REGISTER 10:30 A.M. MISSION GARDEN
- Dragonflies of the Santa Cruz River: PIMA COUNTY BROCHURE
- Living River – Restoring Riparian Habitat along the Santa Cruz River: PIMA COUNTY BROCHURE
- Arizona Dragonflies http://azdragonfly.org/
Dragonfly Day on the Santa Cruz is a FREE event brought to you by Pima County Regional Flood Control District, Pima County Regional Wastewater Reclamation Department, Pima County Natural Resources Parks and Recreation, Sonoran Institute, Town of Marana Parks and Recreation, UArizona’s School of Natural Resources and the Environment, Tucson Water, and Mission Garden. Special thanks to Tucson Electric Power for sponsorship of the Dragonfly Tours and to Pima County Libraries for distribution of the dragonfly kits.